Who is eligible for the UCBeyond Scholarship Program?
Applicants of any age are welcome to apply if they are:
- A legal and permanent resident of Canada
- Diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis by a physician
- Seeking an associate’s, undergraduate, or graduate degree from a Canadian university; seeking a diploma or certificate from a Canadian college; or enrolled in a trade school educational program
- Enrolled in or awaiting acceptance from a Canadian-based institution of higher education for the fall/winter semester of 2021/2022
- Demonstrating academic ambition and embracing a way of life that goes above and beyond the boundaries of living with inflammatory arthritis!
Students who have previously won, employees of UCB Canada Inc. and their immediate family members are not eligible for this scholarship.
How will winners be selected?
The following must be submitted with your application to be considered:
- A one-page essay, describing:
- How you are living above and beyond the boundaries of inflammatory arthritis and demonstrating academic ambition and personal achievement
- How you would benefit from the scholarship
TIP: Past essays have shown the applicant’s desire for academic achievement, described how they persevered while living with inflammatory arthritis, and demonstrated school and community involvement.
- Two (2) one-page letters of recommendation from a teacher, school official, professional colleague or employer describing your unique qualities and how you embrace a way of life that overcomes the boundaries of living with inflammatory arthritis.
- An official academic transcript from your most recent year of education.
- A confirmation of diagnosis from your treating physician.
The selection of recipients will be at the sole discretion of the independent judges chosen by UCB Canada Inc. A panel of medical professionals and patient representatives from across the country will select the scholarship recipients.
How will I know if I have won?
Winners receive a personal telephone call and a confirmation letter in September 2021.
If I win, how do I receive my scholarship cheque?
Once a winner’s educational enrolment has been verified for the fall/winter semester of 2021/2022, the scholarship cheque will be made payable to and directly mailed to the recipient.
If I have won in the past, may I reapply this year?
No, the UCBeyond scholarship will be awarded only once per applicant.
What can I use the scholarship money for?
Scholarship winners are awarded up to $5,000 CDN. This money can be put towards covering tuition and/or educational materials and expenses.
Majoring in History at the University of Calgary, pursuing a career in teaching
My name is Sabrina Drew, and I am 19 years old from Calgary, Alberta. I have just started my first year at the University of Calgary and am majoring in History. I am planning to transfer into education as my goal is to become a high school social studies teacher. I was diagnosed during 10th grade which made my transition to high school a lot more difficult than most. I struggled to have consistent attendance, and so I worked to develop excellent relationships with all my teachers. These relationships helped me to stay on track towards my ultimate goal of being a teacher. With the help of this scholarship, I hope to become that support for the future of students in Calgary.