Who is eligible for the UCBeyond Scholarship Program?
Applicants of any age are welcome to apply if they are:
- A legal and permanent resident of Canada
- Diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis by a physician
- Seeking an associate’s, undergraduate, or graduate degree from a Canadian university; seeking a diploma or certificate from a Canadian college; or enrolled in a trade school educational program
- Enrolled in or awaiting acceptance from a Canadian-based institution of higher education for the fall/winter semester of 2022/2023
- Demonstrating academic ambition and embracing a way of life that goes above and beyond the boundaries of living with inflammatory arthritis!
Students who have previously won, employees of UCB Canada Inc. and their immediate family members are not eligible for this scholarship.
How will winners be selected?
The following must be submitted with your application to be considered:
- A one-page essay, describing:
- How you are living above and beyond the boundaries of inflammatory arthritis and demonstrating academic ambition and personal achievement
- How you would benefit from the scholarship
TIP: Past essays have shown the applicant’s desire for academic achievement, described how they persevered while living with inflammatory arthritis, and demonstrated school and community involvement.
- Two (2) one-page letters of recommendation from a teacher, school official, professional colleague or employer describing your unique qualities and how you embrace a way of life that overcomes the boundaries of living with inflammatory arthritis.
- An official academic transcript from your most recent year of education.
- A confirmation of diagnosis from your treating physician.
The selection of recipients will be at the sole discretion of the independent judges chosen by UCB Canada Inc. A panel of medical professionals and patient representatives from across the country will select the scholarship recipients.
How will I know if I have won?
Winners receive a personal telephone call and a confirmation letter in September 2022.
If I win, how do I receive my scholarship cheque?
Once a winner’s educational enrolment has been verified for the fall/winter semester of 2022/2023, the scholarship cheque will be made payable to and directly mailed to the recipient.
If I have won in the past, may I reapply this year?
No, the UCBeyond scholarship will be awarded only once per applicant.
What can I use the scholarship money for?
Scholarship winners are awarded up to $5,000 CDN. This money can be put towards covering tuition and/or educational materials and expenses.
Majoring in Civil Engineering at the University of Ottawa
My name is Danielle Taylor and I’m a first year student at the University of Ottawa. Starting university is a big change for anyone and having unpredictable health issues makes it even more stressful. Luckily, the UCBeyond scholarship helped make the transition from high school to university much easier for me because it has allowed me to focus on both my health and my studies, in the hopes of soon becoming a civil engineer.